March 21, 2012

Winter Hats in Spring

I ended up making some hats just in time for 80 degree weather! Woo!
I first made the hat Long Leaves Beanie from the book "Weekend Hats". I used some Red Heart Super Tweed yarn that I had been wanting to use for quite a while. The yarn coloring made it so that the pattern didn't turn out as clear, but you can still see it. This is going to be a hat for a friend of mine, but I will probably give it to her on her birthday, or Christmas or something.


This picture was taken without flash and better shows off the pattern.

After making this hat, I was in a hat mood, so I decided to try my hand at an original hat pattern. I first made a sketch, and then tried it out with some scrap yarn.

Little practice pieces!

Then I sketched out a better pattern. It's super sloppy, but I could read it.

Then I went on the making the actual hat! I got to use a really pretty mustard yellow color (called Pea Green for some reason). Everything worked well! Though, I do have to say, that this hat contained the most annoying row I have ever had to do: cable, cable, cable, cable, k6, make bobble, k7 repeat. Blech, not fun! And I wrought it upon myself! But it was totally worth it! The hat turned out amazing! (I plan to sell this on Etsy whenever I get my store up)

I call it my "Hint of India" hat!

Taken without flash, so you can see the pattern better.

So overall it was a very successful hat week. I plan to next work on finishing my shirt for my steam punk outfit. It is so hard to go back to a project that you haven't worked on, but I would like to have it finished by the end of the month so that I can wear it to an anime convention. We shall see what happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment